A Better Way To Learn English!
If you’re reading this then the chances are that you have wanted to speak English for some time now. Maybe you’ve even participated in classes. You probably need to speak English well for your career. Maybe you want to travel internationally or study abroad. You know that English is an international language and it vital for your success!
So, let me ask you some questions;
- Do you feel nervous or shy when you try to speak in English?
- Do you struggle to understand native speakers despite studying English for a while now?
- Are you embarrassed by your pronunciation or worried that you speak too slowly?
- Are you frustrated that despite all the time you have invested in your English you still can’t speak it?
- Despite your goals, is it still difficult for you to use English in your job, travels, or studies?
- Do you doubt that you will never fully master spoken English?
If you answered yes to the majority of these questions, then you’re not alone! In fact, you’re fairly typical, many English students feel this way too. Most adult learners are stressed and frustrated with their speaking ability. Some feel completely hopeless and feel they will never be able to speak English properly. Not because they are bad at learning languages, but because like you, they’ve been taught using the wrong methods. The good thing is, I believe it doesn’t have to be this way. There is nothing wrong with you and your ability to learn. It is possible to learn and speak English naturally and with ease. You can use English effectively in your job, travels and studies. The question is why do so many English students feel this way?
Why is there so much confusion and frustration towards speaking English correctly?
As I mentioned earlier, many students have simply been taught with the wrong methods.
So, why is this then? The most obvious answer is the way which schools and academies teach English. Most schools around the world, use the grammar translation method. As the name suggests, the focus of this method is on the analysis of grammar structures and the memorisation of vocabulary. This makes learning English into an endless task of grammar structures to memorise and recall at the right time. Of course, grammar structures have purpose and should be remembered. So why do most schools prefer these methods? The reason why most schools prefer to teach English this way is because it appears to be serious, academic and complex. The grammar translation method fits the way schools teach most subjects – with textbooks, lectures, notes, memorisation and tests. The only problem, as you know, it doesn’t work. In real conversations, there is no time to think about grammar structures and their exceptions.
The failure rate of this method
is absolutely terrible! Despite this failure of most students not
reaching English fluency, schools continue to use this method – quite sad isn’t it?
Most English learners have suffered with their English for such a long time, they now doubt whether there is actually a solution to this problem. I am pleased to say that THERE IS A SOLUTION and I am going to share it with you here!
The solution to this problem is quite simple…CHANGE THE WAY YOU THINK ABOUT LEARNING ENGLISH.
need to realise that you can have all the methods there is to learn
English. You can take classes, enrol on online courses, study
applications, the list goes on…but all of these are pretty useless
without the right mental attitude!!! One
of the most important steps you can take towards speaking English
confidently and with ease, is to learn to monitor your attitude towards
your learning and how it impacts your work performance. If your attitude
is weak, even the best methods will fail. You have to see that there
are two parts to this solution. One is the psychology, two is the
Clearly, it is important to have a positive attitude, rather than a negative one towards your leaning process and your ability to speak English.
Here’s an exercise you can try! It will help you to acquire a better attitude towards speaking English;
- The next time you’re speaking English, instead of feeling nervous, imagine feeling very powerful instead. Now, the first time you do this you’ll probably still feel a little nervous, but the more you continue to practise and focus on feeling powerful the more powerful you’ll feel. Go on TRY IT!
The next step to this solution is to continue connecting more positive feelings and emotions to English. This is what’s called anchoring.
Here’s something else you can try;
- Each day before you begin to study or practise English create a positive feeling. The more you do this the stronger the feelings will become and you’ll become more connected to English. Eventually all negative feelings towards English will disappear.
Here at Online English Skills we understand that traditional methods don’t work and we pride ourselves in helping students to apply this solution to their learning journey!
If you would like to make fast improvement and take a different approach to the way you practise your spoken English, then take a look at our English Conversation Classes!
Until next time, happy English learning!